Friday, July 6, 2007

Secrets of Grade A Students

1. List all the "secrets" of academic success you can find in this selection.

  • Aspiration
  • Persistence
  • Role models (Best students have parents who respond to their curiosity, nourish and support things the kids are interested in, and open up their world)
  • Learning from mistakes
  • Discipline
  • Willingness to air ideas
  • Incorporation of learning into everyday life
  • Broad fund of knowledge
  • Motivation, performance and self- esteem

2. Do the academic goals you have set out for yourself, contain or reflect any of the "secrets" of academic success mentioned in this selection. If so explain how. If not how could you change your goals to incorporate the "secrets" mentioned?

The academic goals that I have set out for myself contain all of the "secrets" of academic success mentioned. Aspiration is one that has been incorporated into my goals. Well, I aspire to do well in my academics, knowing that it would lead me somewhere in the future. Education has been an important element in my life. Without education, my future of being a scientist is a mere dream, fantasy, that can never be achieved. Persistence is another. I persist and strive. I never take no for an answer. Many may view this as stubbornness, but it is persistence. In academics, if I feel and know that an answer is incorrect, I would argue and argue until the answer has been accept and proven correct. My parents play a huge part in my life. They are a role model for me. Without them, I would have reached this far. They nourished, supported and brought me up. Their pressence in my life was required and I love them a lot. When it comes to learning from mistakes, it is a negative. I always make the same mistakes, no matter how hard I try. Sometimes I succeed whereas I fail most of the time. I realize that my best wasn't good enough. Therefore, I try harder and is rewarded with results that prove most satifying. Discipline is a big one. Without discipline, one can never achieve one's goal. Academics wise, discipline plays a big part in academic success. To succeed, dscipline is needed. In my case, I have good discipline, handing up my work on time, working efficiently etc. This would ensure academic success. When it comes to airing of ideas or opinion, I would always be the first one giving my opinion. In academics, when you air your opinion, there is someone bound to have conflicting ideas. This creates debates and discussions. Both sides hear each other and it is benificial. Each side can learn from one another. It results in an increase of knowledge. In addition, it is a good way to learn more about people and their way of thinking. In my opinion, incorporation of ideas is form of education that is free from the strict and inflexible learning style that is applied in classrooms (certain classrooms). Ideas, both simple and complex can be applied into everyday life. Sometimes, when something is too complicated to be explained, it can be applied to something else which much simplier, but still having the same idea. Having a broad fund of knowledge is important and helpful in certain situations. When applied to academics, it can prove very useful. It is handy to know something that others do not. You can do many things just having knowledge. If your friend or teacher needs to clarify something that they don't know but you do, you can prove a valuable asset. In addition, the knowledge gained is sonething that people cannot wrench from you. It stays with you until the grave. Lastly, the three things that are important when it comes to education, motivation, performance and self- esteem. For example, I am motivated to become a scientist. By having and sustaining motivation, I am sure to to reach that goal. It also applies to short term goals. Without motivation, one can never hope to accomplish what he or she set out to do. Performance is another. Your performance level in everything you do, including academics reflects the amount of effort that is put into it. Motivaiton affects performance in a way that it can either lower or increase your performance level. When your performance level is low, it indicates that you have either a low level of motivation or low self- esteem. Self- esteem is the final one. Without self- esteem, how can one succeed? As stated above, self- esteem can affect your motivation and performance level. It is a powerful asset when it is as its highest and a weapon that kills you at its lowest. All the "secrets" to academic success have been explained. Please, give me your opinion on this.